Saturday, October 29, 2016

Sat Inspiration

Morning Inspiration with Pastor Merritt

Just before Jesus ascended into heaven after His resurrection, He gathered His disciples together and gave final instructions to the church. As a church, we get to decide how we do what we do, but we don’t get to decide what we do. Jesus gave the church instructions on exactly what the church is to do. We will be judged, both as a church corporately and as followers of Christ individually by how well we followed final instructions.

These final instructions are found in the last chapter of the Gospel of Matthew. The churchy term for this passage of scripture is “The Great Commission,” but it really is just Jesus’ final instructions to the church. It is found in one sentence made up basically of one verb and three participles.

Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” (Matthew 28:19)

Jesus is talking to His disciples and He says to His disciples, “Go make disciples.”

The word “disciple” simply means “follower.” Basically, Jesus’ instructions to the church went something like this, “What I spent three years doing for you, I want you to spend the rest of your life doing for Me. I found you when you were not My disciple and I made you into My disciple. Now I want you to go and do for other what I have done for you.” Or, to put it even more simply (Key Take Away): Disciples make disciples.

No comments:

Post a Comment