Saturday, December 30, 2017

Sat Inspiration

Morning Inspiration with Pastor Merritt

What, exactly, does it mean to abide in Christ? Jesus does not leave us wondering. Jesus tells us that abiding means, first of all, studying the Word of God. "If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you" (John 15:7). When the children of God look into the Word of God and see the Son of God, they are changed by the Spirit of God into the image of God by the grace of God for the glory of God. That is what abiding is all about.

Abiding also means doing the work of God. Jesus said, "Who abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit" (John 15:5). God is in the fruit bearing business. That is His work; that is what He desires for us. As we stay under His influence, we find that our work really becomes sharing His influence with others.

Third, abiding is obeying the will of God. Jesus said, "If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, as I have kept my Father's commandments and abide in his love" (John 15:10). When the branch rests in fellowship with the vine, it produces the fruit of the vine.

No comments:

Post a Comment