Thursday, June 29, 2017

Electric Skateboard

The Boosted Electric Skateboard Is Better Than Just Fun—It's Useful

And every ride puts a smile on your face.

boosted board
By Timothy Dahl

Riding an electric powered skateboard has been a dream of mine since 7th grade. So when I saw Casey Neistat cruising through New York so effortlessly on his Boosted Board, I knew I had to try it.

I have little interest in riding a hoverboard unless it's like Marty McFly's, but skating on a board without pushing always seemed like the ultimate thrill. I'm past learning kickflips, and prefer to keep all four of my wheels connected to the ground when I go out on my Arbor longboard. But my skating range is limited, and when I know I'd like to cover more ground I always opt for my bike. The Boosted electric skateboard changes all of this, and not only provides a thrilling afternoon adventure, but can also be a legitimate mode of transportation for commuting or simply getting around town.

THE SPECS

The Boosted Board is no toy. The 2nd generation Boosted Board is available in two models. The Dual+ ($1,499) is rated at a top speed of 22 mph, can climb hills with 25 percent grade, and has a standard range of 7 miles. A step below is the Dual ($1,299) which tops out at 20 mph, can climb a 20 percent grade, and also has a seven mile range. Later this year an extended range battery will be available for $199, that ups the range to considerable 12 miles.



I had the pleasure of riding a the Dual+ for a couple weeks. Its motor produces 2000 watts of power, which is transferred to each rear wheel by a belt drive system. It's all encased in a slim weatherproof enclosure that fits flush against the bottom of the board. It weighs in at 14.7 pounds which is manageable to tote around, but not ideal to carry long distances.

THE RIDE

I skated everyday in middle school and now only occasionally, but I still enjoy snowboarding and surfing. Having previous board riding experience definitely helped me get the feel of the Boosted Board faster. The starting sensation takes a bit of getting used to, but once you are up and riding the Boosted Board handles like any longboard skateboard.

The deck is made from solid bamboo and shaped to provide a natural suspension, which snaps you through turns and smooths out the bumps. The large diameter wheels also improve the ride and have a nice grip.

The Boosted Board is controlled by a handheld bluetooth device, that uses a thumb rolling mechanism to adjust your speed and braking. It's fairly intuitive, but the thumb trigger is sensitive to the slightest touch. It doesn't take much for the board to jolt into action.



There are four speed modes, that are designed for your level of riding. The first mode is purely beginner, and I found myself in that mode for most of the first few days of riding. The next mode up is an eco-mode that suited my needs just fine, but when I wanted a real thrill I bumped it to the third mode which is sport. Of course I had to try out the board in the fourth pro mode, but after scaring myself a bit at top speed, I realized I needed more than two weeks to work up to that. The higher modes are not only faster, but they accelerate quicker, and can climb steeper hills.

WHO'S IT FOR

The Boosted Board is ideal for anyone seeking a fun-first mode of transportation. A bike or car may get you somewhere faster, but the Boosted Board is all about the journey. You may think it's a bit pricey, but it's comparable to low-end electric bikes. Unlike a bicycle, it can be stored under your desk at work or in your closet.



Remember, always wear a helmet. The Boosted Board is deceptively fast, and pedestrians, bicycles, and cars, will often not know how to react to seeing you whizzing by.

No comments:

Post a Comment